[c-nsp] Fiber issue, banging my head.

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Sep 6 14:24:13 EDT 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Drew Weaver wrote:

> We are trying to connect a Catalyst 6509 connected via fiber to two GSR
> 12000 routers.

I don't have a 12000 here to test with, but I've seen issues like this
even between 6509s on occasion, so you're not alone :)

A few questions:
1. What is the distance between the devices?
2. What type(s) of GBICs or SFPs are you using?
3. Are you using singlemode or multimode cables?

> The throughput between the two pairs is also terribly slow.

Most likely due to data being retransmitted when a packet doesn't come
across the wire correctly.

> We have tried different cards in the GSRs, we have tried different
> fiber cables.

Have you replaced the GBICs/SFPs on the 6500?

Also, look at a show interface XXX from both sides of the link - do they
both show the same speed and duplex?  I've seen funky issues in the past
where gig ports would try to run at speeds other than 1000/full.

jms