[c-nsp] Question about the CCNA and CCNP certification

Bernd Ueberbacher noc at mynet.at
Fri Sep 7 17:03:39 EDT 2007

Hi there!

As you might know from my earlier posts I'm currently learning for my
CCNA with the goal of achieving the CCNP afterwards. Sometimes it's a
bit boring to learn for the CCNA, because I work all day long with Cisco
devices and in the evening when I'm learning for the CCNA certification
I have to calculate subnet masks etc. Not the most exciting stuff...

A guy I know from a different company also wants to become a CCNP, but
today he told me, that he is heading directly towards the CCNP without
passing the CCNA. I said that this is not possible, but he was
completely sure about it and had an interesting explanation... He says
that the CCNA is a requirement for the CCNP if you want to attend a CCNP
class room course. This prevents that you have absolutely no clue about
networking and slow down the whole group/class. If you don't attend the
class, but do it by self studying and just take the exam with Pearson
Vue etc, you don't need a valid CCNA certification. This is because it's
your money/problem if you fail but you are not annoying anybody else
with your incompetence and if you have no clue you just don't pass.

It somehow sounds right, because why would anybody need a lower level
certification just to take the CCNP exam? Of course you need to know the
topics from the CCNA to become a CCNP, but is the certification really
required?

So is this guy right and is it just a prerequisite for class room
trainings or is it a prerequisite for the exam?

Thanks,
Bernd

PS: Yes, I googled, but the Cisco website just says: "CCNP
Prerequisites: Valid CCNA certification" and the link below says "CCNA
ensures that CCNP candidates possess a solid foundation of networking
knowledge, which lays the foundation for the professional curriculum.
Without that prerequisite foundation, the student may not be able to
keep up with others in class and learn the advanced knowledge and skills
presented in the CCNP courses." so this guy might be right...

http://ciscocert.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ciscocert.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3825&p_created=1176617893&p_sid=tU6KJ7Li&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTM1JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Q0NOUA**&p_li=&p_topview=1