[c-nsp] 12.2(33)SXH - modular not reading DOM on XENPAK

mack mack at exchange.alphared.com
Mon Sep 10 09:35:11 EDT 2007

I am going to respond to multiple messages at once to preserve
list bandwidth.

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:07:33 +0300
> From: Saku Ytti <saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi>
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 12.2(33)SXH - modular not reading DOM on XENPAK
> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net

[snip]

> My bet is that they are not supported DOM optics,
> check out 'show interfaces transceiver dom-supported-list'.

Only one part number of XENPAK-10GB-LR is listed (10-1838-04).
This leads me to believe that any XENPAK-LR that isn't extremely recent isn't going to work.
These are Cisco branded parts and were ordered as XENPAK-10GB-LR+.
If anyone knows how to match this to serial numbers it would
be helpful as it is a pain to remove them from live operations.

Does anyone have actual working DOM with a XENPAK-LR?
If so could you post a serial number?

We tested multiple XENPAKs example show inventory:

NAME: "TeXX/X", DESCR: "10Gbase-LR"
PID: XENPAK-10GB-LR    , VID: V01 , SN: ONJ0830007L

NAME: "TeXX/X", DESCR: "10Gbase-LR"
PID: XENPAK-10GB-LR    , VID: V01 , SN: ONJ0830007Q

NAME: "TeXX/X", DESCR: "10Gbase-LR"
PID: XENPAK-10GB-LR    , VID: V02 , SN: AGS08280PC5

NAME: "TeXX/X", DESCR: "10Gbase-LR"
PID: XENPAK-10GB-LR    , VID: V02 , SN: IJM0939M036

Curiously we have two that don't respond to show inventory.
No clue why as they appear identical.
They show DOM fine in SXF10 but no inventory :/

Release notes indicate these should be working:

Any transceiver that is DOM-capable in hardware but not supported by Cisco is monitored by the DOM feature.

> I think there is bugID 'CSCsj88208' which will
> should make unsupported optics viewable again.

I will have to check this when I get to the office.

> --
>   ++ytti
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:18:47 +0200
> From: Marian ?urkovi? <md at bts.sk>
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 12.2(33)SXH - modular not reading DOM on XENPAK
> To: Pierfrancesco Caci <p.caci at seabone.net>
> Cc: mack <mack at exchange.alphared.com>,  "cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net"
>         <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>

[snip]
> So if you have an Intel XENPAK-SR in your network, could you please
> share
> your experience - i.e. if you are able to read DOM from it in -SXF
> images
> and if you ever seen any link flaps when doing so?

We only have XENPAK-10GB-LR.