[c-nsp] L2 SNMP performance on Cat65/76?

Chris Griffin cgriffin at ufl.edu
Mon Sep 10 17:01:19 EDT 2007

Lately we have been having performance issues with SNMP queries to
Sup720 based systems when gathering Layer 2 information (ifOperStatus
and several layer 2 traffic counters).  SNMP for these elements will be
dropped for long periods of time (5-15 minutes).  This normally happens
during network reconvergence events, but sometimes just happens.  During
these intervals queries for layer 3 information (BGP etc) occur just
fine.  I assume this is because in native IOS, the snmp query has to be
relayed to the sup from the msfc?  Any tips on making it a bit more
responsive even during convergence?  IOS is 12.2.18SXF7.

Thanks
Chris Griffin                           cgriffin at ufl.edu
Sr. Network Engineer - CCNP             Phone: (352) 273-1051
CNS - Network Services                  Fax:   (352) 392-9440
University of Florida/FLR               Gainesville, FL 32611