[c-nsp] Cisco 3550 traffic policing/QoS limitations?

Tom Zingale (tomz) tomz at cisco.com
Thu Sep 13 15:53:57 EDT 2007

The 3550 QoS policer usage is detailed in the configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/relea
se/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1044737

The same policy-map with policer can be attached to each port and in
your case you can use up to 1 policer per FE port so its within limits.

However, Policy-map applies to either ingress (service-policy input) or
egress (service-policy output) are separate.. You can have 5M ingress/5M
egress (or anything that adds to 10M total) by attaching an ingress
policy-map and an egress policy-map. Egress policy-map however, can only
match on DSCP(s) so you have to know the DSCP(s) (if don't care, set
them all to 0 at ingress policy-map first so egress can match on it).