[c-nsp] DWDM for X2 optics

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 18 18:51:02 EDT 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 5:21 PM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 04:28:59PM -0500, mack wrote:
>> Does anyone know if or when Cisco will offer X2 optics with DWDM?
>> The 3560-E and 3750-E as well as 6708-10GE have X2 optics but
>> Cisco is only saying they are not currently available in DWDM.
>> If this is to be the new form factor for Cisco I can't see them not
>> offering DWDM.
>> Does anyone have the scoop?
>
> X2 is not a popular format
<snip>
> Investing in X2 technology at this point in the game is a pretty
> terrible
> idea anyways.

I agree 100%.  Don't waste your time with X2's.  XFP is
where it's at.

XENPAK and X2 both use a 4-lane XAUI interface at the board
interconnect.  This probably made it easy for the catalyst
people to reuse existing asic designs for the 6708 card and
the 3750-E.

XFP uses a serial interface (XFI) which requires the PHY
to be moved back into the asic.  So, it probably is taking
them longer to bring a catalyst product to market w/ XFP's.

I wouldn't bother with the 8-port 10G card.  I would wait
for a 16 port card w/ XFP's.  I would also doubt that
there will be many new products with XENPAK's or X2's, and
you probably don't want to be stuck with them.

Dale