[c-nsp] Where to use the ES20 over the 6704/8

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Sep 21 16:34:05 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 11:42:27AM -0500, Justin Shore wrote:
> Does any of that make one lean towards the ES series over the 67xx
> series blades in either the backbone connections or the customer-facing
> connections?  The price difference is the biggest con at this point
> unless there's a technical reason to choose one over the other.

Don't forget that IPv6 and MPLS cost extra license per ES card.

<rant>
Which makes them fairly much a no-no for us - we can live with having
to pay an extra price for IPv6 *for the box* (even if that sucks, too),
but having an extra price *per line card* for something which really
should be in the base license is completely inacceptable.

ISPs need to go to IPv6, and vendors trying to use that to suck off
extra money in big heaps are really not doing anyone a favour.

But then, I think the the 7600 BU has long lost all contact to reality
anyway.  As in "ISPs do not need modular IOS", etc...
</rant>

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de