[c-nsp] 3550 as a BGP Router

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Thu Sep 20 16:34:26 EDT 2007

Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:
> One thing to worry about in 3550 is the number of actual routes
> installed in the FIB, as it installs them in the HW forwarding TCAM,
> which does not have too much room (something like 2000 should be the
> safe limit). If all you need is 100 routes, then it should be fine.

On this note, I see many folk who have installed Cat3550/3560/3750
without setting an appropriate sdm template.

This is pretty much mandatory when deploying them in environments which
require serious grunt, and selecting an SDM template requires a reboot
of the switch so it's often too late afterwards.

Folks, please read the docs and set your sdm template (show sdm prefer)
on these devices.

For the unitiated, the sdm template sets how you slice your available
TCAM space into layer-2 FIB, ACL, layer-3 FIB, and features like vrflite
and policy routing. "show sdm prefer".

Will