[c-nsp] PIX 515E PPTP VPN Routing?

Church, Charles cchurc05 at harris.com
Mon Sep 24 08:06:11 EDT 2007

I think it's working the way it should.  THe MS client is very
non-intelligent, compared to the Cisco client.  I don't believe you can
define for an MS client the concept of split tunneling, at least not
from the PIX or router itself.  You can do it from the client, after the
VPN session is established.  If you do a 'route print' from the Windoze
box, you'll see an additional entry for the default network using the
VPN adaptor, with a better metric.  You can manually delete that entry,
and add in any that you need with another route statement (such as
saying all 172.16.0.0/12 routes should use the VPN interface).  You
don't have any odd configuration, such as your PIX giving out addresses
in the same range as what's local to the PC?  That could cause some
oddities as well.  But honestly, you're much better off using the Cisco
client, from a security and a feature standpoint.  I haven't worked with
PPTP in a couple years, but I think I rememeber all the faults pretty
well.

Chuck