[c-nsp] 7304 questions, or router in- between 65xx/76xx and 7206

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Thu Sep 27 16:02:51 EDT 2007

Folks,

I basically need a router that does easily handle some 8 to 10 GE ports,
withprobably some 4 GE ports facing external ports and 4 ports internally.
Traffic flow would be around 2-4 Gigs going through, mostly one direction.

Will the 7304 handle that? The 3.5 mio pps scares me (the marketing behind
it more than anything). You can get tons (16 or so) GE ports into that box
with the SPA thingies... but will that box deliver?

When I think of M7i or any of those, does the 3.2 Gig limit per FPC still
apply?

I could be wrong, but there is seemingly no useful box that does handle some
real Gigs and performs normally. And the 65xx sucks because of the amount of
routes (go figure).

Anything that I am missing.

Alexander