[c-nsp] four L3 devices, three ports

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Sep 29 03:29:08 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 12:15:12PM -0700, Mark Kent wrote:
> Ignore the servers.  What I run now is this:
>
>   {ISP1}  {ISP2}
>     |        |
>   [7301]-a-[7301]
>     |        |
>     b        c
>     |        |
>   [4948]-d-[4948]
[..]
> But...  I've been thinking about this:
>
>   {ISP1}  {ISP2}
>     |        |
>   [7301]  [7301]
>     |   \  /  |
>     b    \/   c
>     |   / \   |
>   [4948]-d-[4948]

Depending on other influences (like "bandwidth requirements" and "model
of router used, number of available ports") we have done setups
similar to both your variants - and I can't say one is "better" than
the other one.

> (I know, cisco says to avoid squares).

I see nothing wrong with the square here.

If it's all L2 devices, I would tend to agree with the sentiment.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de