[c-nsp] Cisco 7200 GigE interface w/NPE 225.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Apr 1 04:25:36 EDT 2008

Adam Armstrong wrote:
> Alex Balashov wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I tried to install a single-port optical GigE card in a Cisco 7204 VXR
>> chassis with an NPE 225 and was informed by the IOS that it is
>> incompatible with the NPE 225, so the adaptor is shut down.
>>
>> Anyone know how to get around this limitation other than by getting a
>> beefier NPE?  I do not actually intend to run anywhere *near* a gig of
>> traffic through that thing;  it's just that the handoff I am getting
>> from a provider is optical and this is the easiest route for me.
>>
>> If I do have to get a new NPE, will a 400 suffice, or do I have to go 1G?
>>
> I believe an NPE-300 would be sufficient. I don't recall putting a PA-GE
> into an NPE-225, but IIRC BT use a PA-GE in an NPE-300 to deliver ADSL
> in the UK.
>
> You won't get more than 400mbit (200mbit each way)  across a PA-GE no
> matter what slot/npe you put it in! :)

Thanks for the insight...

Strangely, if I Google "npe 225 gige" I get all sorts of results for
router configurations that appear to include the NPE 225 and a PA-GE,
for instance:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_data_sheet09186a0080088724.html

This leads me to believe that I should be able to install a GigE port in
this thing in principle.  So, why does the IOS reject the adaptor on
grounds that it is "not compatible with this npe cpu."

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems