[c-nsp] Cisco 7204 CPU utilisation.

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Apr 1 04:38:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Alex Balashov wrote:

> backplane and engine.  I also enabled fast route-caching and a number of

ip cef should be enabled, do "show int switching" and see if traffic is
"fast-switched":

     Protocol  IP
           Switching path    Pkts In   Chars In   Pkts Out  Chars Out
                  Process       2022     247164       4890     449873
             Cache misses          0          -          -          -
                     Fast   18378468 22253087908   11596605 4410838728
                Auton/SSE          0          0          0          0

If traffic is process switched, you should investigate why.

> other fairly obvious things, but those types of optimisations are what
> got me down to ~60% at peak in the first place - without the
> route-caching it was choking at nearly full utilisation.
>
> Any other common best practises?

What NPE do you have? An NPE-300 should be able to do somewhere around
150-200 meg of mixed traffic (bidirectionally), so if you're at 60% cpu
with 25 megs, that sounds like a lot of cpu for little traffic, even if
you would be running an NPE-150 or even slower.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se