[c-nsp] Cisco 7200 GigE interface w/NPE 225.

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Apr 1 05:21:39 EDT 2008

Alex Balashov <> wrote on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:08 AM:

> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008, Alex Balashov wrote:
>>
>>> Strangely, if I Google "npe 225 gige" I get all sorts of results for
>>> router configurations that appear to include the NPE 225 and a
>>> PA-GE, for instance:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_data_sheet
09186a0080088724.html

>>> This leads me to believe that I should be able to install a GigE
>>> port in this thing in principle.  So, why does the IOS reject the
>>> adaptor on grounds that it is "not compatible with this npe cpu."
>>
>> IOS software support changes?
>
> Possibly.  That's one of the things I was hoping someone here could
> shed some light on.

PA-GE datasheet
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_data_she
et09186a0080091ce7.html) states that minimum NPE is NPE-300.. You also
need an NPE300 to get support for the C7200-I/O-GE+E (as stated in your
link above)..

	oli