[c-nsp] ddos attack makes c6509 cpu soared.

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Tue Apr 1 10:31:22 EDT 2008

At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008 +0200, Peter Rathlev observed:
>On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 06:13 +0000, MontyRee wrote:
> > I have operated sup720 based c6509(DFC3 included) with time-based
> >  sampling netflow enabled.
> >
> > Some days ago, there was a ddos attack against the server over 1Mpps,
> > then the cpu of the c6509 soared from 5 to 95.
> >
> > As I know, sup720 based c6509 can do services upto 30Mpps, but I can't
> >  understand why the cpu is high?
>
>The 30 mpps is the raw forwarding rate. If you start doing things like
>NDE you will get lower performance.

It's 30Mpps (assuming central fwding in compact mode) regardless of
packet size & regardless of NF, qos, ACL, etc enabled w/in the
constraints of what's supported in hw. NF collection is supported in hw.

Enabling NDE doesn't change that, but the aging/export process will
drive up the CPU (again, not impacting performance unless the control
plane ends up overburdened and protocols start reconverging etc),
especially with a consistently full table. But the hw continues to
fwd at 30Mpps.

> > Is there any relations with netflow enabled config? cisco website says
> >  that the flow number of netflow supports to 128,000. Then, should I
> >  disable netflow when ddos attacked?
>
>The Sup720 does Netflow characterization in hardware, but the export is
>handled by the processor, so if you use NDE you could be hit bad by
>DDoS. The flow mask you use also has a lot to say about how many flows
>are generated.
>
>Doing sampled Netflow should reduce the problem a little, even though
>you might end up generating almost the same number of flows and thus the
>same amount of exports.

Sampled probably won't help, in fact it could hurt. Sampled on
7600/6500 purges the NF table in large batches on a (short) regular
basis & can drive up the CPU. Using full NF & increasing the aging
timers will prob be more effective in reducing CPU during a time of
heavy NF table utilization.

On the other hand, not sure we've established yet that NDE is
actually to blame for the high CPU in this case, based on the
information so far...

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Data Center BU
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759