[c-nsp] OT : IPv6 - Will it hit like an "avalanch"?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Apr 2 17:57:55 EDT 2008

Read up on the history of BSD UNIX.

> Did they ever think about the
> day the 4294967296 ip addresses won't be enough for the world?

No.  Recall that IP got started in the days that you had a bunch
of dumb terminals connected to a mainframe.  The mainframe was
supposed to be networked via IP.

> I think it's the same story with the IPv6, today we talk about
> the much more IPs we're going to get, but it will be so many that
> in a short term every little thing will have IP capability, so,
> every toaster, every refrigerator, every RC Car, every cellphone,
> pencils, bike, car, and so on, all of them, EVERYONE will get a
> unique IP address, and that's it, we'll be at the same exhausting
> problem shortly, much sooner than you can imagine...

If so it will be due to improper allocation of numbers it will
have nothing to do with the pool of available numbers.

Wake me when we are running out of MAC addresses, OK?

Ted