[c-nsp] Cat4K & Sup3 issue using AGM.. Any ideas?

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Mon Apr 7 12:26:14 EDT 2008

 I know this is old stuff, but it still works for this small network here, so
what the heck.

 I have a Cat4006 chasis, which had a Sup2 running of course CatOS, and then I
had a WS-X4604-AGM installed in it which routed my T1 line back to main
location.  The unit was running 8.4(11)GLX for the CatOS, and the AGM was
running 12.4(18) for it's IOS.  This configuration has worked well for quite
some time.

 Well of course not leaving well enough alone, and deciding having IOS instead
of CatOS with some nicer QOS would be a good thing. I got my hands on A Sup3
card for the switch, which I thought would be a simple deal to upgrade.

 So I pop in the Sup3, load up the latest firmware and IOS for it, put in a
baseline config and figure all is well.  Wait, the AGM isn't working for some
reason, let's look at this.

 I go to the AGM and it's booted, but shows no config, what the heck.  Umm,
OK, maybe going to IOS on the switch, I need to redo that as well.  Sadly
enough this was not the case.  If I do a show conf, it's there, I can see it
just fine.  If I try and copy startup-conf to running, it tells me something
is corrupted and it can't read it even after it just showed it to me complete
and intact.

 I then tried erasing the NVRAM, and putting the config back in, but no go.
If I put in a simple config of a few lines it will work, it seems like if I
put in to much it breaks.  If I put in the Sup2 all works fine, but with the
Sup3 I have this problem, they should be separate items so no clue why the AGM
is affected.   I even tried updating the IOS to 12.4(19) which is the current
version, but this also made no difference.  I also tried compressing the
config, so it was smaller, and that didn't seem to work, it decompressed it
fine, I could read it with show conf, but still it refused to load and run.

 I have to say I have never run into one like this, I performed some google's
which didn't show up anything, so I am at a loss.   For now I just hooked up a
2650XM I had laying here before the AGM to get me online, but it was sure nice
just having everything all-in-one.  Anyone have any ideas on this issue, or
any information that maybe I missed in my searches??   I know this is outdated
stuff, but it's run great here for me, and still should for a while I hope...

---
Howard Leadmon