[c-nsp] CSM for service providers

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Mon Apr 7 17:33:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:30:17PM +0000, Ramcharan, Vijay A wrote:
> Last I knew, the CSM was on its way out and being replaced with the ACE
> blade/appliance. That's not quite the answer to the question you asked
> but it does address the long term viability issue. I don't believe you
> should be looking at the CSM as a long-term solution. If it's in place
> and working then it may have some life left in it. If it's for a new
> deployment, look elsewhere. I mean seriously look at other options. You
> just need to look at the bug list for the ACE releases to get a teeny
> bit wary of the ACE in general. There is no Safe Harbor code release as
> yet and it's been probably over a year since the product was available.

We have two existing CSM installations, and the question is going to be
do we size-up these to match demand or do we start moving to another
solution?

As for the ACE: unless the ACE represents substantial benefits,
there's no way the cost of all the license crap is going to be worth
it.  And if Cisco wants to hold us CSM customers hostage for working
redundancy, we'll find another solution.

Interesting that the safe-harbor listing is gone - CSM does receive
safe-harbor qualifications, and I know that 4.2(5) was previously
listed as receiving qualifications.  See the stub at:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/safe_harbor/enterprise/csm/4_2_5__12_2_18_sxf5/425.html
Interesting that this isn't linked from the main safe-harbor page
anymore.

Moreover, CSM 3.X has announced end-of-support in 2011.  While there
is no comparable EOL/EOS data (that I know of) on CSM 4.2 software, I
have no reason to think it's going to drop out of support soon.

Ross