[c-nsp] ASR performance

Brad Gould bradley at internode.com.au
Mon Apr 7 19:53:10 EDT 2008

As a p.s. to this post - does anyone know if the ASR has ISG on the
roadmap?  I've found zero mention of ISG with regards to the ASR (which
does limit its use in DSL aggregation).

Brad

MKS wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I was wondering if somebody has had the chance to play with the new
> ASR? From the introduction of ESP it's suppose to terminate 8000
> subscribers on ESP5 and 16000 on ESP10, (32000 on ESP20)?
>
> Has somebody had the chance to actually test PPPoE termination
> performance on this box? e.g. number_of_subscribers vs. throughput vs.
> load  ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> MKS
>

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/qa_c67-449980.html
> Q. Where are the 5- and 10-Gbps ESPs positioned in a service
> provider's broadband network?
> A. The Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router serves as a broadband aggregation
> router that terminates 8,000 to 16,000 subscriber sessions; supports
> features such as Cisco Session Border Controller (SBC) for voice over
> IP (VoIP), video Telepresence services, and hardware-assisted Firewall
> for security; and requires Gigabit Ethernet or 10 Gigabit Ethernet
> uplink capability.
>
> The Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router is ideally suited for deployment as a
> Point-to-Point Termination and Aggregation (PTA) device, L2TP Access
> Concentrator (LAC), or L2TP Network Server (LNS).

Brad Gould, Network Engineer
Internode
Level 5, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide 5000
P: 08 8228 2999  F: 08 8235 6999
bradley at internode.com.au; http://www.internode.on.net/