[c-nsp] BGP timers

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Apr 8 08:18:54 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Uddin, Tahir wrote:

> When connecting a CE to a PE, is there a minimum
> recommended BGP hold down timer. I am currently using 90
> seconds with both of my carriers but it is causing
> applications to time out when there is a failure in one
> of the carriers network or if a local loop goes down. One
> of the carriers ruled out going down to 15 seconds, said
> it was too low.

We are aggressive with timers within our own core. However,
we keep it simple with customers unless there is a special
request. At any rate, BGP will use the smaller of the two
received in the open message during setup.

That said, if both sides are Cisco (and you have the
requisite IOS release), you may consider testing the BGP
Next Hop Address Tracking feature (enabled by default in
supporting releases) and BGP Fast Peering Session
Deactivation (configurable in supporting releases).

Cheers,

Mark.