[c-nsp] Transparent ASA 5510 on a dot1q Trunk

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Tue Apr 8 09:17:56 EDT 2008

On a FWSM you don't need separate contexts and can setup up to eight bridge
groups.

"If you do not want the overhead of security contexts, or want to maximize
your use of security contexts, you can configure up to eight pairs of
interfaces, called bridge groups. Each bridge group connects to a separate
network. Bridge group traffic is isolated from other bridge groups; traffic
is not routed to another bridge group within the FWSM, and traffic must exit
the FWSM before it is routed by an external router back to another bridge
group in the FWSM. Although the bridging functions are separate for each
bridge group, many other functions are shared between all bridge groups. For
example, all bridge groups share a system log server or AAA server
configuration. For complete security policy separation, use security
contexts with one bridge group in each context."

Finally one thing a FWSM does better than an ASA! (feature wise)

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697