[c-nsp] BGP timers

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Apr 8 11:49:13 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Uddin, Tahir wrote:

> With this picture,
>
> CE1-----PE1----MPLS cloud-----PE2-----CE2
>

> If next hop tracking is enabled on CE1, and there is a
> problem between PE2 and CE2 or an issue in the cloud,
> would it still be useful?

I cannot give you an experienced response as we only use
this feature with our iBGP sessions.

> BTW, Mark, what is the lowest you would go within the
> CORE and the lowest on the customer WAN link and are
> there any resource issues (memory, cpu) that are of
> concern.

Justin's comments on the "variables" involved are worth
noting.

Having said that, the lowest we would go (which I'm not
recommending as a best practice in any way) is 30 seconds
keepalive, 90 seconds hold time. One of the vendors we use
defaults to this.

Cheers,

Mark.