[c-nsp] 6500 vs. 7600 revisited again (was: CSM for service providers)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 9 05:11:20 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:37:10AM +0200, Mohacsi Janos wrote:
> Probably we have to ask the 7600 BU to improve their software and take
> decisions that make sense:
> - They should improve quality of the IOS softwares!! - I have heard that
> SRD will be tested more thoroughly... But currently Cisco 7600 BU played
> on the customer loyalty... and exploited their inability to change.
> - Cisco 7600 BU should go something similar to safe harbour....
> - They (6500 BU and 7600 BU) should support all new supervisor cards...
> RSP720 is not supported in 6500 and sup720-10GE series not supported in
> 7600. This is nonsense!

Indeed.  Worse, they are now building increasingly different chassis types
with different capabilities - 6500-E with "lots of power", and 7600-S with
"nice and shiny high-availability EOBC" (if I understand the differences
right).

> - They can distinguish certain cards to be supported on Cisco 6500 or
> Cisco 7600 according the market segment.
> -LAN type switchingcards should be supported on both C7600 and C6500.... -
> fabric enabled with *720* and non fabric enabled with sup32* and *720*

I agree with you - this would make sense, and give back the feeling that
Cisco is a dependable business partner.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de