[c-nsp] Virtual IP Question

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Apr 10 20:44:56 EDT 2008

Hi folks.

I'm working with a client currently that has a active/failover setup with a
pair of web servers.

Each server has it's own primary IP address and then there is a "floating"
IP address which represents the active machine in the pair.  There has been
several problems when one machine fails over to the other one and I believe
I've stumbled into the answer.. I compare this to HSRP as it's almost the
same.

Each server is connected to a 6509 switch, on the same VLAN and IP subnet.
The problem is that the virtual IP representing what people connect to is
taking over the MAC address of the Ethernet card versus having it's own MAC
that stays consistent from server to server (as HSRP does with it's active
IP - MAC never changes for that IP).

So I'm trying to figure out the *best* way to keep that MAC consistent
whether it's server #1 that's active on switch #1 or server #2 on switch
#2??  This would appear to be a configuration issue on the server but would
like to work around it from the network level if possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul