[c-nsp] Virtual IP Question

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Apr 10 21:15:44 EDT 2008

Thanks very much... I haven't been able to capture this in action yet from a
network view but hoping to see what's really happening soon...  the servers
in question I do not manage....

What appears to be happening is that the heartbeat between the two devices
(dedicated GigE network port to port between servers, no switch) is having
some kind of an issue - I still don't have a clear picture myself what is
happening yet....  but long story short, both primary and secondary are
trying to delegate to primary at the same time therefore the IP is showing
up twice on two different machines causing some problems obviously ;)

I'm hoping to actually take the heartbeat function out of this mix as both
machines can run fully mirrored to one another and handle requests - I"d
like to "frontend" the system and take the decision making away from the
servers themselves....

Just browsing Cisco's website and it looks like I could get a ACE-4710-1F-K9
appliance that would do the trick?  Price is quite reasonable .... anyone
used them?

Thanks again David...

Paul