[c-nsp] Wanting to learn Juniper...

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Apr 11 07:00:59 EDT 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008, Jonathan Crawford wrote:

This could go back and forth between IOS and JunOS, forever.

My 2 cents: having a fair bit of experience with both OS's -
JunOS has a lot of flexibility in that you can have 4 or 5
different ways of achieving the same thing on a Juniper
router/switch. We have been able to implement features on
Juniper that were limited by hardware on other platforms
because of this, even when these capabilities were not
explicitly built into JunOS as "a feature".

However, all is not lost with IOS; we realize it is only
truly possible to appreciate JunOS once you've spent some
time teaching yourself how to use it - having an IOS
background adds a lot more appreciation as well.

We see both vendors as a compliment to each other in our
network, rather than all-or-nothing.

We will remain a Cisco and Juniper shop, and will continue
to capitalize on the strengths of each of them wherever
appropriate. We know where Cisco are weak... we know where
Juniper are weak. Then we build the network :-).

Mark.