[c-nsp] Wanting to learn Juniper...

Wink dwinkworth at wi.rr.com
Fri Apr 11 07:28:16 EDT 2008

I think the "more intuitive" part is in reference to the structured
nature of the configuration.  I can easily justify the comment based on
my own preferences.

It seems easier to find things w/reference to the routing-instance you
are dealing with or the interface you are dealing with at the moment,
within the configuration.  The CLI has a nicer feel to it just in how
you navigate and look at things.  I prefer formatted/hierarchical data
any day over a flat list when looking at things. JUNOS has a more
"legos" feel to it.  You build your elements and then you arrange them
how you like.  At least thats the thought.  But first you have to learn
all the elements... and how they string together isn't all that
intuitive sometimes.

Indeed, things like NAT (which I just posted about on the j-nsp list)
and some IPSec configurations seem.... convoluted on JUNOS compared to
an IOS box.   Another thing...  Filter-based forwarding isn't nearly as
intuitive as PBR...   rib-groups anyone?

Still, I almost fell out my chair at the "Cisco is flawless" comment.
Look, those people with all those headaches with the 6500 on the 6500 vs
7600 thread...  they're not lying.  The split got off to a shaky start
and it aggravated a lot of people.   A lot of those boxes got ripped out
of networks because every new IOS was deferred or redacted.  I
personally spent a lot of time at my previous job banging my head
against the wall troubleshooting them.  I guess its a lot better now
that time has passed and some wrinkles got ironed out, but man...

if model == switch(6500,sup720) then software != stable;

At least for a while it was that way.  Not to mention the endless
caveats and restrictions.

I agree with previous comments though... you should know the
differences... apply the strengths where needed.

We're all "engineers" right?  We should know the technologies... not let
the small stuff get in the way.  If the best router in the world could
only be programmed with environment variables in UNIX, or had to be
handcoded with its own variant of TL/1....  I would still do it if it
meant better uptime and performance... and a paycheck...  :-)

Derick Winkworth
CCIE #15672