[c-nsp] Cat4500 and bandwidth per slot

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Apr 12 17:21:54 EDT 2008

Robert Hass wrote:

> According to Cisco documentation Cat4500 with SupV is providing 6Gbps per
> one slot. It this 6Gbps is full-duplex or half-duplex. I mean if half-duplex
> then we have 1:2 oversubscription for 6xGE card
> (6gb full-duplex=12gbps half duplex).

6Gbit/s FD. 6-port GE card is line-rate. That's for classic 4500 chassis
and SupIV/SupV. For Sup6E and 4500E chassis and linecards, you have
24Gbit/s FD.

> And what about Cat6500 and Sup32 ? How much Gbps per slot and half-duplex
> or full-duplex ?

Without switch-fabric all cards share a 32Gbit/s bus, thats essentially
16Gbit/s FD. However, it is split into DBus (Data Bus), RBus
(Results Bus) and EoBC (Ethernet Out of Band Connection). Every
line card needs to gain access to the bus to send data. Data sent
by linecards is copied to every linecard in the system, and when
decision is made by Supervisor - cards get info what should they do
with the packet they saw a moment ago on the bus.

--
"Don't expect me to cry for all the     |               Łukasz Bromirski
  reasons you had to die" -- Kurt Cobain |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net