[c-nsp] WCCP performance problem on a 7600

Mark Pace Balzan mpb at melitacable.com
Mon Apr 14 05:40:52 EDT 2008

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Dean Smith
> <dean at eatworms.org.uk> wrote:
> > I cant what Cache's you're using ?
>
> I am using Netcaches with version 6.0.3.

Netcache have the most weried way of doing WCCP MASK - and its nowhere
near how it should be.
You actually have to enter many lines of config on the netcache CLI.
Ive had many discussions with netcache about this, and it's the only way
(im not saying the correct way) they do it.

> >  The Mask/Hash needs to be set by the Cache. I've had it
> working successfully
> >  with BlueCoat SG8100 and a 6500 but haven't got as far as
> Throughput
> >  testing. There is plenty of discussion on 6500 + WCCP in
> the archive - the
> >  recommendation has always been that it should be L2 + Mask
> for full hardware
> >  assistance.
>
> I agree. I have looked at using the BlueCoat but hadn't tested mask
> assignment specifically. Did you make use of the wccp weight attribute
> when using mask assignment with the Bluecoat?
>
> >  There is a minor difference between inbound+outbound (I think
> >  its inbound is preffered) but to check I'd have to search
> the archive.
>
> inbound has always been recommended in the archive.

Yes it is, and even more so when combined with spoofing on the cache,
since outbound would become quite a nightmare, causing many potential
redirect loops

Also the later SXF versions of IOS fixed many WCCP issues present in
older versions