[c-nsp] L3 vs. L2 trunk connections to a 6509 core. Easyrouter-head question.

Dean Smith dean at eatworms.org.uk
Mon Apr 14 17:15:17 EDT 2008

Yes If you want "All layer 2" or "all layer 3" but It doesn't have to be so
black & white.

You can have the 3560 acting as Layer 2 for some VLANs - switching the
relevant physical ports to trunks with that vlan allowed,  and Layer 3 for
others - with a local (on the 3560) SVI and using the local routing to
determine the switch exit path

The only caveat 'd ad to your list is that if you have ip routing enabled
your default should be a proper static route "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
172.16.15.255" (or via dynamic eigrp of course). The "ip default-gateway"
command is only used when ip routing is fully disabled.