[c-nsp] Upgrading PIX 6.3 to 7.x

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Apr 15 11:03:02 EDT 2008

I have also done this successfully before as well.  Every time my
license was not lost.  However I have about a 40-50% failure rate on the
upgrade itself, forcing me to roll back the change.  Usually the problem
was some part of the config that wasn't translated correctly from v6 to
v7.  The maintenance windows were too short to resolve the issue at the
time so I would note the problem, roll back to the old config and
firmware, fix the problem offline in a v7 copy of the config and then
redo the upgrade in a future window.

FYI, keep a backup of the config and old v6 image handy and be prepared
to roll back if needed.
  Justin