[c-nsp] Virtual IP Question

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jlgaddis at ivytech.edu
Wed Apr 16 01:39:39 EDT 2008

I've used "heartbeat" successfully for a few years on two-node
active/passive failover setups.  Gratuitous ARPs are sent out when the
"standby" takes over.  We've been able to get extremely quick failover,
to the point where running a ping of the virtual IP while causing a
failover results in missing, at most, one reply.

These are RHEL4 web servers, BTW, and they also have a back-to-back
serial port link for monitoring the heartbeat.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis
Network Administrator