[c-nsp] 6500 Netflow

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Thu Apr 17 12:43:22 EDT 2008

Prior to 12.2(33)SXH netflow on the 6500 was enabled on a global
basis. Which is different to all the router platforms where it is
enabled on a per interface basis. In 12.2(33)SXH for the 6500 and
12.2(33)SRA for the 7600 NDE was finally changed to be enabled on a
per interface basis like other cisco platforms.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/netflow.html#wp1174622
[snip]
Per-interface NDE

Cisco IOS Release 12.2(33)SXH and later releases support
per-interface NDE, which enables PFC NetFlow data collection on a
per-interface basis. With releases earlier than Release 12.2(33)SXH,
NetFlow on the PFC could be only be enabled and disabled globally.

When you upgrade to a software release that supports the
per-interface NDE feature, the system automatically enables
per-interface NDE and configures the ip flow ingress command on every
Layer 3 interface. This one-time action takes place on the first
reload after the upgrade and maintains backward compatibility with
the global NetFlow enable command. After the reload, you can
configure the no ip flow ingress command on Layer 3 interfaces to
selectively disable PFC and RP NetFlow data collection/export.

The per-interface NDE feature only applies to IPv4 unicast flows on
Layer 3 interfaces. Flows for non-IPv4 protocols (such as IPv6 and
MPLS) are not controlled by this feature

[end snip]

Ian