[c-nsp] NPE-G1 PPS limitations

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Fri Apr 18 08:36:12 EDT 2008

The way the buses are built on the 7200 create a bandwidth bottle neck
for the PA slots. I would say 400M is the limit per bus (there are 2,
and the PAs are split between them).
You should be aware of the concept of bandwidth points with regards to
PA slots on 7200:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps341/prod_presentati
on09186a008009184d.pdf
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/configuration/7200_port_ada
pter_config_guidelines/3875In.html

On NPE-G1/G2, the onboard (on the NPE) GigE ports are different, and are
not limited by this kind of configuration as they are wired directly to
the forwarding engine.
There is also another exception for adding another PA slot on NPE-G1/G2,
by using the Jacket Card:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/configuration/7200_port_ada
pter_config_guidelines/3875In.html#wp1100537
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps341/prod_bulletin09
00aecd80471892.html

Arie