[c-nsp] Managed internet VPN solution

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Apr 21 01:25:50 EDT 2008

Ibrahim Abo Zaid <> wrote on Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:30 PM:

> Hi All
>
> one of my clients has a managed Internet solution with his simple
> MPLS VPN and Internet access in granted to a selected group of sites
> including HQ through managed internet router hosted at his ISP but he
> has a bit weired request as he needs a site to connect to the
> Internet using Internet connection of other site not directly to
> provider Internet gateway

I'm not entirely sure I understand the topology. Can you put a diagram
somewhere?

> i thought about two solution how this solution can be implemented
>
> 1-use PBR under this site PE interface and direct the Internet
> traffic to the other site network using set key *set next-hop
> recursive* and point to one of the remote site IPs so MPLS labels
> will do the work and route the traffic to the remote CE and then to
> the Internet and of course reverse reachability will be maintained .

Where exactly are you planning to apply the PBR route-map? Not sure if
this will work on the PE.

> 2- isolate these two site into a different VRF and set up overlapping
> VPN between the overall simple VPN and the special managed Internet
> VPN composed of those 2 sites

sounds like a feasible approach (need to understand the topology
better).

> any suggestion how this solution can be met will be welcomed :)

If the "hub" site has the Internet connection, you could also have this
site inject a default-route into the VPN  so all sites can follow it
(and use ACLs or route filters if you want to restrict this access to
only certain sites).

	oli