[c-nsp] GbE over SDH

Paolo Lucente pl+list at pmacct.net
Wed Apr 23 05:52:20 EDT 2008

Hi MKS,

if the LSR hasn't visibility into the SDH layer and there is a
separate box doing EOS, there is not much accurate actions the
LSR can take by itself. For example, the LSR could send probes
across the link and detect packet loss or increased delay either
of which would be good hints for capacity reduction. SAA should
be all you need.

This can help making an educated guess that there is a possible
capacity reduction on the link. Because this is only a guess i
would stop detecting the issue and reporting it to an operator
through, say, an SNMP trap.

Alternatively, it's very likely that the EOS box would support
SNMP trap itself. As i believe these would be contextualized,
you might even think at an automatic reaction (ie. adjust policy
maps on relevant interfaces/tunnels) and not just stop to the
detection phase.

If this option is viable, it then becomes a tradeoff between
doing things in a controlled way, importance of the link and
outage duration.

Cheers,
Paolo