[c-nsp] Redistributing static routes in BGP

Gary Roberton gary.ciscomail at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 12:35:01 EDT 2008

So, an update for anyone who is interested.

As suspected, the route is removed from the routing table if there is no
other route to the next hop address.  A default route being configured means
that the static route stays as the next hop is reachable via this.
The configuration of object tracking according to Andy's excellent config
means the route is only installed when the reachability status is up.
Problem solved.

The config on my level of IOS went as such

track 123 ip sla 1 reachability

ip sla 1
 icmp-echo 10.40.1.1
 timeout 1000
 threshold 2
 frequency 3

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

ip route 88.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.40.1.1 track 123

Cheers

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Gary Roberton <gary.ciscomail at gmail.com>
wrote:

> All
>
> Thanks for your replies.  This is what I came up with too.  Yes, the route
> remains in the table if the next hop is reachable through a 0.0.0.0 route
> for example.  I am trying out each scenario now so will list results for
> everyones benefit.

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Adam Armstrong <lists at memetic.org> wrote:
>
>> Gary Roberton wrote:
>>
>>> All
>>>
>>> I have a static route that I am redistributing into BGP.  However, I only
>>> want to redistribute it if the next hop is available.  For example, if I
>>> have ip route 88.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.35.1.1, I only want to redistribute
>>> it
>>> if the 10.35.1.1 next hop is still available.  I won't go into detail