[c-nsp] Bandwidth Vs Number of Users

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Apr 26 08:29:55 EDT 2008

Pedro Matusse wrote:
> Hi List,
>

> My company is going to provide Internet access to an event where will be
> around simultaneous 500 Internet users. How can I guess what bandwidth
> should made available?
>
> Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance

There's no way to answer that, without knowing what kind of event and
what type of internet traffic the users will be generating.

e.g. an event which is a meeting of streaming media users, or
high-energy physicists, will need more bandwidth than an event of high
school teachers.

It's also not a Cisco-specific question and may be best asked elsewhere.

Assuming a mix of web, email and general personal internet, I'd guess
somewhere between 2 and 10 megabits would be the minimum.