[c-nsp] 7201 rack mounting

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Apr 28 01:04:12 EDT 2008

Shear strength of mild steel is roughly 25 tons square inch.  These
small screws probably could each hold close to a ton each in shear
force.  When you have this in a rack, the force on the screws is
virtually 100% shearing force, which is far different than the
force exerted on the threads of a steel hook inserted into a tree.

The problem is in the end mounting because the leverage exerted by
the far end of the device is considerable - far in excess of 50 kg.
Center mounting and there is no leverage exerted.

Earthquake resistence really calls for center mounting in any kind of
2-post rack.  This is why everyone is going to 4 post cabinets.  The
problem is Cisco doesen't really put good mounts on their gear for a
4 post cabinet.

Ted