[c-nsp] VACL capture versus OAL on 6500s

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 28 08:34:57 EDT 2008

The release notes state that OAL (Optimised ACL logging) is mutually
exclusive with VACL capture:

"""OAL and VACL capture are incompatible. Do not configure both features
on the switch. With OAL configured (see the "Optimized ACL Logging with
a PFC3" section on page 34-4), use SPAN to capture traffic."""

We currently use SPAN to mirror our default route, for URL logging
purposes, however we've got an imminent capacity upgrade to dual 10GbE
so we're looking at a different approach - specifically we are
considering VACL to limit capture to port 80 only.

However we have OAL enabled, though (currently) no logging ACLs. Anyone
know if this is a fundamentally unsolvable issue (in which case we may
abandon OAL) or not?