[c-nsp] Secondary IP addresses on ASA

Richard Morrell variableuk at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 28 12:00:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

We've been investigating using ASA as a firewall in our network.  One
of the issues with it, is that it does not appear to be able to handle
secondary IP addresses.   Here is the relevant Cisco article regarding
the PIX which I believe applies to the ASA:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/19b.html

and here is the workaround that some people appear to be using:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153418-secondary-ip-address-on-pix-ethernet-interface.html

Could someone from Cisco comment on if there are any plans to improve
this in the future?

Alternatively, are there people out there using the workaround?  Have
you seen any issues with it?
(don't mind replies off-list for this one if you'd prefer)

Cheers,

--
Rich Morrell
variableuk at gmail.com