[c-nsp] If BGP is running on a circuit, if you ping the other end you get loss. kill the BGP (and thus the traffic..) no more loss.

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Tue Apr 29 08:13:06 EDT 2008

                Hi there, I've seen this a few times in the past and its always been chalked up to a line or upstream issue but a couple of times I've noticed that if I do a ping ip with say 1000 repeats of size 100 I'll hit maybe 60% loss on circuits which have BGP neighbors, but if I shutdown the BGP neighbor and repeat the "test" the circuit is "clean". I am trying to find a 'definitive' way to determine whether or not the issue is that:

A)     When I shutdown BGP the traffic on the line dropped to a level in which the circuit or the "device" on the other end could actually handle it.

B)      My Router/Line card could handle sending the ICMP because I shut down the BGP session on the circuit.

The circuit sizes have ranged from a POS (622Mbps) and a Gig-E So two different types of line cards (this is a GSR) so I did a 'show ip cef resources' and its all 'G' so I assume that means I am not pushing the line cards too hard.

I'm assuming the issue is A but I'd like a way to really know for certain, any thoughts?

-Drew