[c-nsp] MPLS Label stack depth and MTU

Christopher Hunt chunt at reachone.com
Tue Apr 29 12:34:49 EDT 2008

ah, but alas, with 7205 FA-TX you cannot set the IP MTU>1500, so I have
set the mpls mtu 1508.  The only way to get the extra bits attached is
to do an end-to-end ping _within_ the vrf, which cannot ping the middle
hops.  However, someone has suggested that my math is wrong and that in
fact the L2 header and CRC is 18 bytes, then i need to add an additional
4 bytes for the VLAN tag which does answer my question.  Problem
solved!  Now to convince my Service Provider to raise the MTU :-P

Christopher Hunt
ReachONE Internet, Inc.
(888)820-7559