[c-nsp] MPLS PE Routers for a Mobile Carrier?

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Sun Aug 3 04:12:06 EDT 2008

On (2008-08-02 17:52 -0300), Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

> AFAIK, ASR 1000 or 4500/Sup6-E don't support MPLS in current software
> releases, so your Cisco-land options are ISR 38x5, 6500, 7600 and

I believe ASR1k did MPLS and L3 MPLS VPN in FCS. Only large bit
missing was L2 MPLS VPN's which is coming in release3 iirc.

> 12000. ME6524 seems a good fit for this environment, J-2320/6350 could
> be the J-land options to explore (although ISR 38x5 are their
> counterparts at C-land, not the ME6524).

QoS in PE and catalyst doesn't seem good fit to me. Unless you have
dedicated port to each customer. But in view most all PE usages
include customers in VLAN, in which case, to do any QoS, you
need HQoS, which LAN cards can not do. They are cheap for
a reason.
While in LSR/P role, LAN cards are perfect fit. It's quite backwards
really, you want 'WAN' cards to face your distribution and LAN
cards are fine in all core, except if you want to do VPLS,
in which case LER/PE needs WAN card to core too.

WAN being SIP (be careful with ES20).
--
  ++ytti