[c-nsp] MPLS PE Routers for a Mobile Carrier?

Masood Ahmad Shah masood at nexlinx.net.pk
Sun Aug 3 13:27:37 EDT 2008

I don't want to start another thread for MPLS TE along with best vendor but
it's an important topic in mobile carrier's networks.

There are currently two label distribution protocols that Cisco/Juniper
support for Traffic Engineering: RSVP, CR-LDP.

Although the two protocols provide a similar level of service, the way they
operate is different, and the detailed function they offer is also not
consistent. Network Engineer's need clear information to help them decide
which protocol to implement in a Traffic Engineered MPLS network. Each
protocol has its champions and detractors, and the specifications are still
under development. Recognizing that the choice of label distribution
protocol is crucial for the success of device manufacturers and network
providers, making very difficult to identify which protocol is the right one
to use in a particular environment.

Traffic Engineering is never ending topic, but some comment/thoughts can
make it more interesting..

Regards,
Masood Ahmad Shah
BLOG: http://www.weblogs.com.pk/jahil