[c-nsp] XMODEM a native image to a 6500 Sup2 SP

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 12 15:53:09 EDT 2008

> Use a PCMCIA to CF adapter and load the image using your PC

My vague recollection is that you needed at least a
later ROMMON (7.1(1)?) in your SUP2 for ATA disk
support for either the disk flash card, or the
CF/adapter(*).   If you had an early ROMMON image,
you could only use linear flash, which would
probably mean XMODEM to load to the linear flash,
since it was harder to find (driver) support for
linear flashes.  My solution was to always upgrade
the ROMMON as the first step of receiving a new or
RMA'd SUP2 so that I could use a flash disk or
CF/adapter later (since as stated, it is *so*
much easier to use a PC to load the code than
even attempt XMODEM).

Gary

(*) Do not depend on my memory of ROMMON versions,
    the Cisco web site with release notes is your
    friend.