[c-nsp] OT: network inventory

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:38:52 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 09:56:42 chip wrote:
> > So far all of the software that's been presented will autodiscover
> devices
> > and backup configs and such.  Is there anything around that will actually
> > take inventory of a router.  By inventory I mean, list of cards, model
> > numbers, serial numbers, pluggable optics, etc.
>
> So you want to issue a 'show inventory raw' command and capture the
> results,
> essentially, right?
>
> Seems rancid could do this, as it can produce arbitrary scripts and diff
> the
> results; perhaps a rancid expert here (which I'm not) can further comment.
> --
> Lamar Owen
> Chief Information Officer
> Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
> 1 PARI Drive
> Rosman, NC  28772
> http://www.pari.edu

'show inventory raw'

How have I missed this command for so long?  That's perfect!

Thanks sir!

Now to parse, put into xml, and track the changes.  Lots easier than dealing
with snmp, different platforms, different os versions.

--chip

--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary, batteries not included, etc....