[c-nsp] Unable to connect VLAN traffic

Johnny Ramirez sforcejr at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 22:10:23 EDT 2008

We have layer 2 connectivity from our main office to an offsite facility where our servers reside. We are connected via fiber but is not a dedicated circuit.

Recently I  created a VLAN with same ID on both switches (main office and Offsite facility) . I trunked the port on both ends but not traffic passes on this VLAN. Obviously only VLAN 1 works. According to a consultant the provider of the fiber connection needs to turn "something" on  for us to be able to pass VLAN traffic other than VLAN 1's. What would be that "something", he does not even kow it himself.

Can anybody shed any light on this?. We are urgently needing to have a separate VLAN for our VOIP traffic.

Thanks

John