[c-nsp] Unable to connect VLAN traffic

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Aug 20 14:00:30 EDT 2008

Johnny Ramirez wrote:
> Justin,
>
> I appreciate your well explained answer. So basically they would tell me what VLANs I should use for me to match them.

Maybe.  When you have multiple VLANs on the same interface, Cisco calls
this a "trunk".  Other vendors may define "trunk" differently, such as
LACP/PAGP, so beware of terminology issues with the carrier.

In order to carry multiple VLANs and sort them out at the other end,
frames on each VLAN have a "tag" in the header which is used by the
receiving switch to identify the VLAN.

Your transport provider is probably using this technology to service
multiple customers.  Within the provider's network, your frames are
tagged with a VLAN-id unique to you as a customer.  The tag is stripped
at the other end.

Thus, the transport provider isn't expecting to see a VLAN tag on your
traffic, as it uses VLAN tags internally to distinguish between
customers.  When you send tagged frames the transport provider either
strips your tags or discards the frames to avoid confusion with its
customer-identifying tags.

Your choices:
1. Define all of the VLANs you'll use, hope they don't conflict with
those for other customers, and ask the provider to pass your tags.  This
is messy and doesn't scale.

2. Ask your carrier to provision the circuit as "Q-in-Q" (802.1q with
your tags inside 802.1q with their tags).  Think postal mail with an
envelope inside an envelope.  This scales, the transport provider
doesn't care what's written on the inside envelope.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net