[c-nsp] smoke and condensation damage to routers

Darrell Root darrellroot at mac.com
Wed Aug 20 19:44:39 EDT 2008

We had a fire in a building where we stored a significant quantity of
gear and are attempting to
determine whether any of the gear in the vicinity can be trusted (and
dealing with the insurance
adjustor).

Stuff sprayed with water or in dense smoke (everything on the floor of
the fire) is thrown out of course.

I've got some switches which were 1 floor downstairs from the fire.
They were in moderate smoke.
They are dry, although the building was very humid (3 inches of water
on floor).  Most of them smell
smoky.

My worst judgement call is a pair of ASA5580-40's in the original
packaging 1 floor down from the
fire.  They were inside a plastic bag inside a box on a pallet.  The
box is dry.
Some condensation was noticed inside the plastic bag when it was
opened up.

 From my standpoint I don't want to trust any of this gear in
production.  Of course, the insurance
adjustor sees gear that appears undamaged and is now completely dry.

Anyone have experience running gear that was subjected to smoke, and
possibly some
condensation?  Did it result in abnormal outages in the future?

Darrell Root
ciscotraining at mac.com